Friday, May 7, 2010

Outstanding TA!

Today was a day of celebration! It was my last day of work, and Andrew was honored with the Outstanding TA award. He was nominated by his students, and was presented the award at the Mechanical Engineering graduation today. I was able to leave work a little early so that I could join him. On my way home from work I got stuck behind a UPS truck blocking my alley. While I sat there for five minutes waiting, I heard the dreaded BING of the gas light. That is where all our trouble began.

We quickly got dressed and left the house at 3:10. Still early by Andrew's standards. LATE by mine! We debated--take Energy Park or University? Last minute decision to take University. This was the first of many mistakes. All was swell until we got to the new intersection by the stadium. We waited for our turn at the intersection for over TEN MINUTES, with the gas light staring us in the face.

Keep in mind that graduation starts at 3:30. At 3:22 Andrew decides to hop out of the car and run the last half mile. In the rain. Finally I get to the ramp, and run over to the building. I am totally out of practice wearing heels, so it's more of a hobble. I'm sure it was quite a sight. I made it just in time to see Andrew get his award. I get my camera out, and find there is NO BATTERY! Damn. So, enjoy these pictures from my phone.



After the ceremony we ate dinner at Big Ten, our favorite campus restaurant, and then headed to the parking ramp. We get to where I thought I parked the car, and no car. Andrew notices a sign that says 'RESERVED. CARS WILL BE TICKETED AND TOWED'. Damn. So, we talk to the parking ramp people to find out the phone number for the towing company. They tell us that nobody has been towed today, so we are probably looking in the wrong spot. Good news, but where is the car? We meander the ramp, and find the vibe one level down. I've never been so happy to see the car.

It turned out to be a great evening. It was nice to see Andrew honored for his work, and fun to hear all the nice things his students had to say about him. The $1500 award money isn't too bad either! :) Congrats husband!

No comments:

Post a Comment