Wednesday, July 13, 2011

South Mountain

Finding a house from 1800 miles away proved to be a challenge, especially since I had never stepped foot in Arizona until last month. I spent hours on google maps, looking at aerial views of the neighborhoods. Is the house within walking distance of a coffee shop? How far to the nearest Trader Joe's? How many miles from Intel? We went back and forth on where we wanted to live. The only thing I knew for sure was that I wanted to live close to South Mountain. We found a few houses that backed up to the mountain, but they were all ruled out for one reason or another. Mostly because we weren't willing to pay $2000+/month, even if it meant having a hiking trail right outside our door. Although the house we ended up with doesn't have a mountain in our backyard, we still enjoy having a "mountain" so close. The other morning we drove to the top to watch the sunrise, and thought we'd be the only people on the mountain. We were surprised to find it FULL of bikers, walkers, and runners who were taking advantage of the cool morning hours. After about 7am, it is HOT HOT HOT. I've always been a morning person, but I fear that I am going to have to become an OBSCENELY early riser in the summer months if I want to enjoy any time outside. I'm talking pre-sunrise early. Also known as 4:30 in the AM. However, it's worth it to see the sunrise over Phoenix. Pictures of that to come soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment