Monday, September 6, 2010

Squirrel anxiety

I want to go back to Oregon. For a few reasons, but most importantly because there are NO SQUIRRELS. Well, there are some squirrels, but we would go days without seeing them. As a result I had a calm, anxiety-free dog, who I miss. So many times over the summer we talked about how Tucker was mellowing out. Well, since we've been back he's regressed a bit. The first walk we took was like going back to square one. After TWO YEARS of working on his walking, he was finally showing progress this summer. Now we are back in squirrel heaven, and he's apparently forgotten everything. Every time he lunges forward or pulls on a walk I make him sit down. He knows we don't start walking again until he looks at me, which he usually is pretty good at doing. We "walked" for an hour, but mostly I think we were sitting. One time we sat for five whole minutes because he wouldn't look at me. He'd look everywhere except me, including looking right at Andrew. I'm sure he was trying to say "can't you get this lady to chill out". As I am writing this he's looking out the window and trembling. I'm hoping it's just excitement over being back. Otherwise, I'm demanding that he be put on prozac.

No comments:

Post a Comment